Friday, April 10, 2009

A Complex Taste for not a lot of Money


Masciarelli Montepulciano d' Abruzzo (about $8 for a 750 ML bottle) is a wine I would purchase again as I found the taste to be out of the ordinary and the price tag to be wallet friendly. It comes from Italy's Abruzzo region (recently devasted by an earthquake that claimed many lives and damaged great antiquities) and is of the grape Montepulciano (wines of this grape usually have a medium to thick body). When I first smelled Masciarelli Montepulciano d' Abruzzo I thought it had an almost nutty aroma. Later I encountered a more floral smell. This wine is definitely on the dry side and interestingly the taste is of tobacco/clove. This was a bit different than some of the other Montepulciano d' Abruzzo choices (including Citra's which is a good value value as well at around $10 for a 1.5 L ). If you don't mind springing for $8 dollars and are looking for something different (not easy in the under $1o category) Mascarielli Montepulciano d' Abruzzo may serve well on the dining room table. In fact I might even purchase a bottle of it myself today.

PVD

No comments:

Post a Comment