Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Most Important Factor

If you're buying wine for yourself there is nothing more important than pleasing your own tongue. Price doesn't always equal enjoyment. Why diminish the green in your wallet more for something you don't like. If you're just starting to drink wine its a good idea not to go overboard on the price. Perhaps start with trying a few value priced varietals to get to know what's pleasant in that regards. I find that you can get something decent to start for 9 to $11 for a 1.5 liter bottle. You could try some of the varietals (Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot etc) offered by some decent brands like Yellow Tail and Barefoot. Once you know what varietals you enjoy and don't mind spending a little more go ahead. The $10-20 dollar range for 750 ML has many choices that I find to be good. Recently I had Hayman and Hill Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley Reserve 2006 for $13 that I found to very enjoyable. Of course tasting will give you the best idea of what you enjoy but so will knowing which wines pair with foods. Winedin has an interesting online pairing tool. As I drink wine daily I have my daily choices that I try to keep in the 9-$14 range for a 1.5 bottle. The 2 wine brands first mentioned for me fall into that category which also includes: Lindemans, Georges Deboeuf and Jacob's Creek. Usually once a week I'll part with a little more money for a bottle. Last Sunday it was Beringer III Century Cabernet Sauvignon 2005 ($12 for 750 ML). Recently my spouse and I took a bottle of William Hill Estate Chardonnay ($18 for 750 ML) to a byob Sushi restaurant. Less frequently but at times I don't mind spending a little more crisp green paper for liquid grape artwork. That's just me and remember you're the expert of your own preferences.

PVD

No comments:

Post a Comment